Don't be dicks to each other

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be dicks to each other

There was an incident earlier today that I was made aware of, and rather than calling people out or going into detail I'm going to just say this. Don't be dicks to each other.

If you want to PK someone, PK someone - but also don't be pissed if they get revenge.
    If you're going to get revenge on someone -at least- practice good character separation. Bouncing in with a higher level alt right away to get revenge is just tacky and poor etiquette.

These are the situations I hate dealing with because it's lose-lose for me.

I recuse myself when there is no incident of an obvious bug being exploited or obvious cheating. Yes immediately logging off one char and another is incredibly bad form IMHO, but if you want to break your separation that's on you. I think I need to add two official rules to the game.
    • Don't be a dick.
    • Don't be petty.
    I'd just as quick board up shop forever than deal with this sort of stuff. It's a game.

-Syriac

Guess I'm out.

Being a dick is what I live for.

Seriously, though, it's much more fun to RP a rivalry than it is to be petty and break char separation.

You gong to get pussy if I beat you in a gamepf HORSE? Adapt and move on. Syriac doesn't have time for your bullshit . Therefor , come to me with it , and I'll just slay you and eat the corpse. Problem solved.

Comment

I heard and ouch..

Comment

Not sure of the incident in question, I would like to offer a suggestion geared towards new players/retention.

Threatening to impact players of your game because of an issue other players are causing would be a concern - especially like closing down the game. Of course this can happen at any time for any number of reasons, but viewing this from the perspective of a new player I could see them viewing this kind of public reaction as something to take pause and reflect more investment.

Also, while I understand 'don't be a dick or petty' make sense, they did not add any meat to the real Rules - if I am to believe your threat to be valid, it seems like the real rule that came from this is a PK timer. If you would still be upset that someone got PK'd and then logged in their alt and waited 10 minutes to PK in retaliation.. then your rule's haven't really accomplished that goal.

This mud is also in a common position - if I want to PK I have limited options, if any, within my rank due to few active players. So you don't want to do something where you prevent alts from attacking previous targets or alts of previous pk's -

Also this timer is kinda interesting, what happens when there's someone who has been on for 2 hours waiting for me.. I log in, if he attacks me can I attack him back? Will being attacked break my timer? If not.. then I cannot even use a lot of PK strategies like breaking combat/invis/blind etc. if it does break my timer, then all I need is someone to initiate a PK on me to free myself an alt-gank.

At any rate, that is all to say maybe the rules could be made more clear, and I am all for leaving the don't be dick/petty in too, but Id rather not see the game fall victim to a few bad apples frustrating you and limiting options on how you can respond - on the other hand, it's also very easy to have communication/actions misconstrued as petty/dickishness, either by ignorance or language barriers, and so on, so there is a case to be made to keep the rules simple and clear when it comes to expectations and ramifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Teej View Post
          Not sure of the incident in question, I would like to offer a suggestion geared towards new players/retention.

Threatening to impact players of your game because of an issue other players are causing would be a concern - especially like closing down the game. Of course this can happen at any time for any number of reasons, but viewing this from the perspective of a new player I could see them viewing this kind of public reaction as something to take pause and reflect more investment.

Also, while I understand 'don't be a dick or petty' make sense, they did not add any meat to the real Rules - if I am to believe your threat to be valid, it seems like the real rule that came from this is a PK timer. If you would still be upset that someone got PK'd and then logged in their alt and waited 10 minutes to PK in retaliation.. then your rule's haven't really accomplished that goal.

This mud is also in a common position - if I want to PK I have limited options, if any, within my rank due to few active players. So you don't want to do something where you prevent alts from attacking previous targets or alts of previous pk's -

Also this timer is kinda interesting, what happens when there's someone who has been on for 2 hours waiting for me.. I log in, if he attacks me can I attack him back? Will being attacked break my timer? If not.. then I cannot even use a lot of PK strategies like breaking combat/invis/blind etc. if it does break my timer, then all I need is someone to initiate a PK on me to free myself an alt-gank.

At any rate, that is all to say maybe the rules could be made more clear, and I am all for leaving the don't be dick/petty in too, but Id rather not see the game fall victim to a few bad apples frustrating you and limiting options on how you can respond - on the other hand, it's also very easy to have communication/actions misconstrued as petty/dickishness, either by ignorance or language barriers, and so on, so there is a case to be made to keep the rules simple and clear when it comes to expectations and ramifications.
          Fair points. I was frustrated in the moment, but there are no plans to shut down. Additionally, I realize that it is not good to punish people on rules that were not clear, so there was no punishment issued. I made modifications necessary. As far as waiting 10 minutes and PKing someone, I'm okay with that. 10 minutes gives the other player reasonable time to get to safe or take defensive actions. It was more to prevent the immediate toggling of chars to stop "shared knowledge" being an exploit. If I find a target while out xping, but I have a better char to PK I shouldn't be able to quickly switch over and then engage. That second character should not have that knowledge so this sort of adds that buffer.

Comment

Working...
          X