If you are interested in writing an area for Realm of Shadows you will need to contact Syriac and tell him what your area will be about. After you will need to e-mail Syriac some samples of your writing, and if that's approved you will need to make a VNUM map of your area. (Example) When all of this is done you can download ORB or Area Editor with the Realm of Shadows configuration and begin to write your area. When you write an area please follow the guidelines as listed below.
*** Due to how RoS handles many different things, we do *not* use online area building. If you would like a boring discussion on nuts and bolts and why it is a really bad idea feel free to reach out to Syriac. In short, many of the reasons people enjoy RoS (Randoms, gems and so on) are not conducive to online area building. If you try to add a reset and a mob pops a random object it will write the random template object into a reset and create problems. Offline area editing is not so awful I promise.
• Minimum amount of rooms: 50
• Minimum amount of different mobs: 10
• Minimum amount of different objects: 5
--- Please bare in mind these are _minimums_
• Don't use the same description for each room, unless you are writing a zone in which the player is supposed to get lost in. (Maze/Forest)
• Use proper spelling and grammar.
• Follow the theme of Realm of Shadows (Medieval/Fantasy)
• Have all mobs set in the proper rooms and all objects on the proper mob/room/container.
• Item quality must be proportional to the difficulty required to obtain them.
• You are not allowed to tell people where your zone is installed so we can do quests and have the players discover it.
• You must set mob levels, attacks, languages.
• Mobs HP/mana/move/gold/wis,int,etc do not need to be set - the MUD handles this. Likewise you do not need to duplicate mobs to get different levels, the MUD will also do that on it's own. Just set a level and RoS will take care of the stats.
• Don't talk to the players, jus